Sunday, August 2, 2009

And another one down

Well all another week is done and I am that much closer to going home. You know I get excited about going home since I am only here for 4 months and I have 2 more to go. BUT I look in the eyes of the troops coming thru going down range for a year and see fear in some, determination in some, pride in some, and just plain "WHY AM I HERE?" in others. Now I am not one to stand back and watch them go thru here without talking to a few if not all of them. I ask where they are from, how they got into the Armed Forces, why they joined. All those questions are answered proudly but when you ask "Did you leave anyone behind?" The expressions change, there heart beats faster, they look at the ground and say "Yes sir, a wife and baby/babies" Then it seems time just stops, (What do I say next? Should I say something? Oh man why did I ask that?) but the only thing I have found to say that works for the both of us is "God Bless you solider, you are in our prayers, have a safe tour", and wow the response I get from that. Only one word, but it brightens their face as well as mine "HOOAH SIR". HOOAH pretty much stands for "HEARD and UNDERSTOOD" and then they press on with life.
Some of these young troops enjoy the visit others really don't care. But the talks are nice. On the flip side when I talk to the ones coming home, the stories they tell. I've heard about gun fights, ambushes, and just plain war. They don't say much about those they lost and I don't ask. If they want to talk about it they will. No need to relive tragedy of a fallen brother.
The reason I am writing this is I have now been here for 2 months and I always say something about pray for our troops. This time I wanted to give you a bit of inside on why you should pray for those in harm's way and those out of it as well.
Today in church we had the Lord's Supper. It was a great ceremony. There were 3 people that shared their testimony and then we had the Lord's Supper. What a great time, and for those who ask "No I did not fall asleep".
Well I hope all is doing well. I cannot wait until October to see everyone especially the family. I could use 3 hugs right now and everyday I have been gone and have left.
P.S. I am anticipating the hugs from Shelli, Mason, and Savannah. I Love and Miss You - Me

2 comments:

Philip said...

Good story. I am also glad you cleared it up who you wanted hugs from...I would hate that it be Jessie, Jackie, and myself.

Thale Keisling said...

Hey feller. Your friends are missing you.